Virginia State University Home

Complaint Resolution

VSUOnline Complaint Resolution Process

Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act includes regulations regarding the delivery of distance education to out-of-state residents. The United States Department of Education (USDOE) requires that institutions comply with any applicable state approval or licensure requirements in each state to which distance education instruction is delivered. Institutions must provide current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting body and the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in a student’s state.

Virginia State University

Concordia University, St. Paul is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS) is one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in the Southern region. Virginia State University is authorized by The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV)  to offer degrees and certificates in on-campus and distance education programs.

You may file a complaint with Concordia’s regional accrediting agency, HLC (Higher Learning Commision). Information regarding its complaint process can be found on the SACS website.

Complaint resolution

Virginia State University desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an efficient, fair and amicable manner. Complaints regarding any aspect of Virginia State University operations should be filed internally to Virginia State University authorities first. Contact information for filing complaints internally is provided below:

  • Admissions Issues (admissions eligibility and process): Contact the Admissions Office at (804) 524-5902 or  (800) 871-7611
  • Registration & Records Issues (registration, petition processes, records and transcript issues, degree requirements, and veteran’s services): Contact the Registrar’s Office at (804) 524-5354
  • Money Matters (billing, tuition/fee payments); Contact the Office of Student Accounts at (804) 824-5506
  • Financial Aid Issues (loans, scholarships, grants): Contact Student Financial Services at (804) 524-5990 or  (800) 823-7214
  • Student Concerns (ADA, Student Conduct, Well being, Where to Start): Contact the Associate Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students at (651) 641-8706

Instructional Issues (grading, instructor issues): Contact the chair of the instructor’s department.

However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your State. For residents of Virginia, the process and form can be found at For residents of other states, the Student Complaint Process by State and Agency (pdf) provides links to and/or information about the Complaint Process for each state education agency. Federal regulations require us to provide prospective and current students with contact information for filing complaints with the appropriate agency in the state where the student resides.

Share this page: